Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Overcoming the World


I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.  - John 16:33

We live in a world that is full of God’s presence. I can hear God’s voice whenever a breeze blows through the tree branches and rustles the leaves. I can see God’s beauty in every sunset when warm oranges and pinks swirl across the open sky. I can feel God with me whenever I pray, He’s there listening to my every worry and care. But even though God is all around us, sometimes we still close our eyes and don’t allow ourselves to see Him. We let the standards, worries, and judgments of the world blind us and get the better of us.
To be completely honest, there are probably about a hundred things that could get the best of me each day if I let them. For instance, I hear people make hurtful comments and remarks about others, I see the hallways and stairwells of my dorm littered with beer cans, I hear about people getting drunk every single weekend without fail, and I see people who don’t go out of their way to help anyone even in the smallest way possible. It honestly breaks my heart. Amidst all the pure meanness and carelessness of the world it’s easy to give in, break down, and lower your standards. It’s easy to join in and gossip about others, go out and drink with your friends, and look out for yourself instead of others, but God wants better for us than that.
God never said life would be easy, in fact he said “in this world you will have trouble”, but He has gone through it as well. Jesus came to the world for us and experienced all the trouble and pain that can be inflicted on us, but He overcame the world. He overcame sin and death so we can have peace and eternal life! I know I can’t stop people from saying or doing hurtful things, but I can be an example for God. I can live my life the best that I can, following His commandments, and try to be a light for others. Even though this world may get me down sometimes, I know through it all I will have in my heart the peace that only God can give.
This week I pray that you don’t give into the standards that this world has for you. Be better than that and set your sights higher. Be prepared, it will be hard, but have heart, God has overcome this world and He can give you the peace to overcome it as well!
“Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart”
– Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment