Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

God's Amazing Gifts


Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless—cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he'll get all the credit as the One mighty in everything—encores to the end of time.
 - 1 Peter 4:10 (The Message)

Right now I am at work at the Mark Twain Study sitting on the front steps with the sun shining down on me through the trees and I can’t help but to feel thankful.
This morning at church I had an unshakeable feeling of uncertainty. During prayer I just kept asking God for a sign. “I need guidance Lord; I need You to show me where to go and what to do with my life”. I needed to hear God’s voice. I needed Him to point me in the right direction. I needed to know that I am making Him proud by the way I am living. God did not shout down from Heaven or place an iridescent arrow in front of me pointing me in the right direction. Instead He showed me the way through the love and understanding of a friend.

My amazing friend Heather and I... we are proud and beautfiul women of God!

On the ride home from church I told one of my best friends about the uncertainty I was feeling. To my surprise, she said she felt the same way sometimes! Now this friend is one of the strongest Christian women I know. She is the kind of woman I aspire to be like, so full of faith and living every day for God. Right then, in the car I believe that God worked through her to give me what I needed the most: someone to listen and understand. I didn’t need all of life’s answers right then, I just needed someone to reassure me that I’m not alone and that I am doing God’s will.
Flash forward to now. I’m sitting outside just reflecting on all the wonderful things God has made and all for a purpose. Now more than ever I know I have a purpose too. Deep down in my heart I know God has given me the gift of serving others. I have always loved doing community service and helping others in any way I can. God has filled my heart with the need to serve and I know that by doing that I am going in the right direction and fulfilling my Heavenly Father’s will for my life.
Speaking of service to others, this Saturday, May 14th, my youth group is doing a Park Clean-up. We will be choosing two parks in the Elmira area to clear away trash and make the park a clean and safe place for families to go to. I feel this is something God is calling me to do. To make the place I live a place where families can visit, children can play safely, and God’s word can thrive. If you would like to join us Saturday morning in cleaning the parks please feel free to contact me for more information!
Just remember, even if the road isn’t always obvious or certain, God does have a purpose and path for your life if you choose to follow Him. God has given you unique gifts… use them serve Him and make your community a place that honors and praises Him! Keep a look out for more community service projects in future posts J

2 comments:

  1. WOW - Nicole you have blessed me beyond words with what you have said ... Thanks for making a God-instance happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for always being here to talk and offer me a chai-frappe when I'm upset or frustrated :) I love you Heather! p.s. I love that picture of us too... we are so happy and care-free there :)

    ReplyDelete