Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ohana Means Family


Keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neck.

When you walk, they will guide you; 
when you sleep, they will watch over you; 
when you awake, they will speak to you.
- Proverbs 6:20-22

Today my grandparents and sister came to visit me for an early birthday surprise. I knew my grandparents were planning on visiting, but when my sister peaked out of the car window and yelled "Surprise!" I was so happy I almost cried.

I live three hours away from home and sometimes it can be hard. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the life I have with my fiancé in Elmira. It's just every once in a while I miss the familiarities of home. I miss the scent of my clothes after my mom does the laundry, I miss being able to hear my dad laugh even when he's all the way upstairs, and mostly I miss laughing with my sister every day and eating dinner with my family every night. But even though the distance is difficult, I know God is blessing us through it.

Inside of me I have all the teachings, lessons, and love of God and my family. Even though I cannot see them every day I am guided by what they have taught me, I am encouraged by their words and advice, and I am motivated by their love. The famous saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" is true. Now more than ever I love every moment I get to spend with my family. In our case, oddly enough God provided the distance to bring us closer together as a family.

While shopping with my grandparents and sister today we saw a sign that said "Only God can turn a mess into a message". The message isn't always clear to us at first, but I hope you trust God enough to wait and see what He has in store for you. Also, I hope you can take time this week to enjoy and appreciate moments with your family. I know I would be lost without mine.

- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment